Watch Nicki Minaj address Mariah feud on 'Ellen': 'I'm not looking forward to live shows'
Rapper says her viral tirade was the result of hurt feelings
Genuine diva feud or well-orchestrated publicity stunt? In the age of reality television, does it even matter?
Of course I'm talking about Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey's now-infamous "American Idol" beef, which became the subject of internet buzz last October after a video showing a hot-tempered Minaj chewing out her co-judge went viral. The dust-up received further play at last week's Television Critics' Association panel for the FOX competition series, where the dynamic duo sniped at one another while addressing their oft-reported squabble from the stage.
Minaj further expanded on the controversy during an appearance on today's "ellen-degeneres" class="autolink">Ellen DeGeneres Show," where she explained that the notorious dust-up caught on tape last fall was a result of her trying to "overcompensate" for Carey's on-set antagonism - despite originally disbelieving the rumor that the "Visions of Love" singer was against having her on the show.
"I heard them saying, 'Mariah doesn't want you on the panel," said Minaj. "But I was like 'No, I'm friends with Mariah'...so I went there and I kinda started feeling a little bit of like 'the shade,' and I just overcompensated by being crazier."
Despite Minaj's contention that she's now moved past the feud, she also admitted to being anxious about filming the upcoming season's live shows.
"You know what, I'm not looking forward to live shows," she said when prompted by DeGeneres. "I cannot trust myself. ...I don't want anyone on the panel to say something crazy, because I don't want to look like a crazy psycho again."
Oh c'mon Nicki, who cares what other people think?
Check out the video below to see what else the "Super Bass" diva had to say, then let us know your thoughts in the comments.
"American Idol" Season 12 premieres on January 16.
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'