Watch: Jeremy Renner on the move in new 'Bourne Legacy' trailer
'Avengers' co-star leads compelling cast through high-stakes espionage
After "The Avengers" grossed several jillion dollars, Jeremy Renner is ready for his next assignment. And a brand new trailer for "The Bourne Legacy" shows that he's in fine form as the heir to Matt Damon's smash spy saga.
The new trailer begins just like the first one, before veering off into new territory, offering a bit more of the plot and highlighting some of the upcoming film's bone-crunching action. Jason Bourne (Damon -- glimpsed on a TV news report) is name-checked several times, just so you don't forget about him once Renner kicks things into high gear.
After events in the previous three films set things in motion, the enigmatic Treadstone project is cleaning house and agent/assassin Aaron Cross (Renner) teams with a hot lab rat (Rachel Weisz) to elude the higher-ups played by "Bourne" veterans David Strathairn, Joan Allen and Scott Glenn, plus newcomer Edward Norton (old Hulk meets Hawkeye!).
The action (especially some extreme urban motorbiking) and the high-stakes courtroom drama aspects look top-notch, but there must be more to it than yet another compromised agent on the run. The previous trilogy unfolded like a mystery, with Bourne suffering from amnesia and gradually discovering the secrets behind his own identity and that of the CIA's Operation Treadstone. Here, things seem more straightforward. It almost feels more like an extended coda to the initial trilogy rather than the beginning of a new one.
Other new additions to the series include Oscar Isaac ("Drive") and the formidable Stacy Keach ("American History X").
Tony Gilroy, who wrote the previous installments, directed the film which expands the universe created by author Robert Ludlum.
"The Bourne Legacy" opens nationwide August 3.
What do you think of the trailer? Are you ready for Renner in more "Bourne," or were the Damon movies enough on their own?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
30 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season