Watch: Jeremy Renner on the move in new 'Bourne Legacy' trailer
'Avengers' co-star leads compelling cast through high-stakes espionage
After "The Avengers" grossed several jillion dollars, Jeremy Renner is ready for his next assignment. And a brand new trailer for "The Bourne Legacy" shows that he's in fine form as the heir to Matt Damon's smash spy saga.
The new trailer begins just like the first one, before veering off into new territory, offering a bit more of the plot and highlighting some of the upcoming film's bone-crunching action. Jason Bourne (Damon -- glimpsed on a TV news report) is name-checked several times, just so you don't forget about him once Renner kicks things into high gear.
After events in the previous three films set things in motion, the enigmatic Treadstone project is cleaning house and agent/assassin Aaron Cross (Renner) teams with a hot lab rat (Rachel Weisz) to elude the higher-ups played by "Bourne" veterans David Strathairn, Joan Allen and Scott Glenn, plus newcomer Edward Norton (old Hulk meets Hawkeye!).
The action (especially some extreme urban motorbiking) and the high-stakes courtroom drama aspects look top-notch, but there must be more to it than yet another compromised agent on the run. The previous trilogy unfolded like a mystery, with Bourne suffering from amnesia and gradually discovering the secrets behind his own identity and that of the CIA's Operation Treadstone. Here, things seem more straightforward. It almost feels more like an extended coda to the initial trilogy rather than the beginning of a new one.
Other new additions to the series include Oscar Isaac ("Drive") and the formidable Stacy Keach ("American History X").
Tony Gilroy, who wrote the previous installments, directed the film which expands the universe created by author Robert Ludlum.
"The Bourne Legacy" opens nationwide August 3.
What do you think of the trailer? Are you ready for Renner in more "Bourne," or were the Damon movies enough on their own?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel