Updated: Flaming Lips and Erykah Badu duet in 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' video
The artists invite you to a slow-motion world of glitter, blood and naked women
Resident rock weirdos The Flaming Lips have teamed with the likewise eccentric singer Erykah Badu for what is perhaps the weirdest video in either of their discographies.
Culled from the Lips' recent Record Store Day release "Heady Fwends," "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a slow, sparse slab of psychedelia that features a subdued Badu on vocals (Lips frontman Wayne Coyne doesn't sing), and the just-released video matches the sonic template.
Certainly NSFW (unless you work in a glitter factory or a strip club or something), the video is entirely in slow motion and offers close-ups of the Lips band members doing their strange instrumentation thing (Coyne appears to be playing a silver ribbon), while Badu sings naked in a bathtub. Then, Badu's sister, Nayrok, proves just how un-shy she is by displaying her completely naked body in various positions, and covered in various substances -- water, blood, a sticky white liquid (we'll just say milk) and, of course, glitter. It's strange, gross, sexy and hypnotic all at the same time. Again, it's definitely not safe for work/school. Fair warning.
UPDATE: The video was removed according to Erykah-Badu.com because it was the unapproved un-edited version. Here's the full statement:
"The video link that was erroneously posted on Pitchfork by the Flaming Lips of the Music Video 'The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face', which features Erykah Badu, is unedited and unapproved.. Sorry!! We, the Flaming Lips, accept full responsibility for prematurely having Pitchfork post it. It has outraged and upset a segment of fans and we apologize if we offended any viewers!!! This is a Flaming Lips video which features Erykah Badu and her sister Nayrok and is not meant to be considered an Erykah Badu or Nayrok statement, creation, or approved version.”
The song, originally written by Ewan MacColl and recorded by Roberta Flack, has been covered by everyone from Johnny Cash to Celina Dion. Except they didn't have glitter and naked ladies.
"Heady Fwends" also includes collaborations with Bon Iver, Coldplay, Biz Markie, Ke$ha, Lightning Bolt and more.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel