'Wanted 2' going forward without Angelina Jolie
Co-writer Derek Haas reveals that there will be a new female character
Angelina Jolie won't be be returning to life for the long-delayed "Wanted 2," but the writers have revealed some new plans for the film.
Director Timur Bekmambetov's 2008 film adaptation of the hardcore comic book from "Kick-Ass" writer Mark Miller "Wanted" grossed $134 million in the U.S., and a sequel seemed like a no-brainer.
When Universal first started getting serious about a sequel, it was unclear whether Jolie would return, although it didn't seem very likely. Now, the screenwriters have revealed where they're planning to go without Jolie on board.
In the film, Jolie played Fox, a veteran assassin who helped guide newbie Wesley (James McAvoy) through training after he's drafted to join a super-secret society of hit men (led by Morgan Freeman). Fox ends up on the wrong side of a bullet, so bringing the character back for part 2 always seemed like a long shot.
While talking to Hollywood.com about his new novel "The Right Hand," "Wanted" screenwriter Derek Haas revealed that he Michael Brandt are finishing up a new draft of the script -- and Fox is not a part of it.
He explains, "[In the first film] Angelina Jolie gets shot in the head and everyone's like, 'Oh, are you going to bring back Fox?' I said, 'Did you see the bullet go into her head?' And they say, 'Oh, she can take one of those milk baths!' We never wanted to do that movie."
Instead, Haas and Brandt have other plans for the sequel, including a possible new heroine at its center. Haas explained, "The only thing I can tell you is that Wesley is now, four years later, recruiting a young woman who is in his situation in the first movie. She's got a sh*tty life. He's sort of in the Fox role. This new girl is brought into the world."
There's no word yet on whether McAvoy, Freeman or co-star Common will return, although the description implies that McAvoy will reprise his role as Wesley.
Meanwhile, Jolie will next be seen in the "Sleeping Beauty"-inspired "Maleficent."
Would you want to see "Wanted 2" without Jolie?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll