Vera Farmiga cast as 'Psycho' mom in A&E prequel series 'Bates Motel'
'Up in the Air' star to play Norman's mother in the Hitchcock prologue
A new Vera has joined the "Psycho" universe.
Oscar-nominated actress Vera Farmiga, who scored an Oscar nod for her performance in Jason Reitman's 2009 film "Up in the Air" opposite George Clooney, has signed on to star as Norma Bates in A&E's forthcoming series "Bates Motel." The show, a prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" (which, if you'll remember, featured actress Vera Miles as the sister of Janet Leigh's character) will focus on the highly-dysfunctional relationship between Norma and her son Norman prior to the murderous events depicted in the 1960 horror classic.
'Vertigo' dethrones 'Citizen Kane' in Sight & Sound's Greatest Films of All Time poll
For the first time in 50 years, the once-a-decade list has a new champion
"Bates Motel" was ordered straight-to-series (i.e. without even a pilot being produced) by A&E earlier this summer for a 10-episode run, with former "Lost" co-showrunner Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin ("Parenthood," "Friday Night Lights") serving as its creative leads. According to Deadline, the show was originally envisioned as a miniseries before Cuse and Ehrin came on and revamped it into a longer-running TV series.
Farmiga's previous television work includes series regular roles on a host of short-lived television shows, including USA's "Touching Evil," NBC's "UC: Undercover" and the Fox fantasy series "Roar" opposite then-up-and-coming actor Heath Ledger. Her last appearance on the big-screen was in this year's "Safe House" co-starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. It's also worth mentioning that Farmiga's younger sister Taissa starred as the rebellious Violet Harmon in Season 1 of FX's "American Horror Story," a similarly macabre cable series.
Of course, "Bates Motel" isn't the only Hitchcock-inspired project in the works - in addition to HBO's upcoming telepic "The Girl," which focuses on the relationship between the esteemed director and his "Birds" leading lady Tippi Hedren, Fox Searchlight has "Hitchcock," a biographical dramedy starring Anthony Hopkins as Hitchcock, Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh, James D'Arcy as Anthony Perkins and Jessica Biel as Vera Miles. That film is expected for release sometime next year.
Do you think Farmiga is the right fit for the role of Norma Bates? Sound off below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
6 days ago
9 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays