Update: Brett Ratner's 'Hercules' starring Dwayne Johnson gets the greenlight
Paramount to co-produce the film with MGM
Dwayne Johnson has officially bagged a new potential franchise.
Brett Ratner's "Hercules," which the "Fast Five" star first attached himself to back in February, is scheduled to begin shooting early next year, according to Deadline. The project will be a joint co-production between MGM and Paramount.
Based on the Radical Comics graphic novel "Hercules: The Thracian Wars" written by Steve Moore and drawn by Cris Bolsin, the film was adapted for the screen by Ryan Condal, with revisions by Evan Spiliotopoulos ("Wanted 2"). The comic book follows Hercules as he is contracted by the King of Thrace to mold his army into a group of fearsome and ruthless warriors.
"Hercules" is just the latest big-screen adventure to feature a version of the famed mythological character, who has enjoyed a long history on both the big and small screens. Most recently, actor Steve Byers portrayed the demigod in Tarsem Singh's 2011 fantasy actioner "Immortals."
Johnson has a tremendously busy upcoming release slate, with "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," Michael Bay's "Pain & Gain," "Snitch" opposite Susan Sarandon and "Fast Six" all scheduled for release in the first half of next year.
Do you think Johnson is the right fit for "Hercules," or is there another actor you would have preferred?
News From Our Partners
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever