Unlikely actress to portray Janis Joplin in new biopic
Tony-winning 'Venus in Furs' thesp will star for 'Martha Marcy' director Sean Durkin
Janis Joplin's life is closer than ever to getting the big-screen treatment.
Tony-winning thesp Nina Arianda ("Venus in Furs"), who is relatively unknown as a screen actress despite recent supporting turns in films including "Midnight in Paris," "Win Win" and "Tower Heist," has signed on to star as the legendary blues singer in a new film to be directed by Sean Durkin ("Martha Marcy May Marlene"). The film will focus on the last six months of Joplin's life, with intermittent flashbacks to her early career.
Titled "Joplin," the project's producers have the added advantage of holding exclusive rights to 21 of the singer's most famous songs, which Arianda will sing herself. Production is slated to begin early next year on a budget of under $20 million.
Outkast's Andre 3000 to star as Jimi Hendrix in new biopic
'All Is By My Side' will center on the legendary guitarist's early career suc...
In addition to exclusive rights to a good portion of Joplin's back catalog, the film's producers also hold life and song arrangement rights to her original band, Big Brother and the Holding Company, as well as rights to the books "Love, Janis" (a collection of the singer's letters) and the 1991 book "Piece of My Heart," a revision of Rolling Stone journalist David Dalton's 1972 multimedia memoir "Janis." The latter book chronicled the last few months of Joplin's life through a collection of interviews, photos, lyrics, sheet music and more. A wealth of recorded interviews and Joplin's memorable appearances on "The Dick Cavett Show" will also inform the biopic.
The exclusive rights to all of the above material came with a reported $2.5 million price tag.
Janis Joplin was found dead of a heroin overdose on October 4, 1970. She was 27 years old at the time.
Are you looking forward to the biopic? Anyone here familiar with Arianda's work? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival