Universal eyes 'Mama' sequel although director Andrés Muschietti isn't interested
Jessica Chastain Guillermo del Toro
After scoring nearly $70 million at the domestic box office, it's no surprise that Universal is already talking about sequelizing the Guillermo del Toro-produced low-budget horror film "Mama."
"Mama," which starred "Zero Dark Thirty's" Jessica Chastain and was directed by first-timer Andres Muschietti, only cost around $15 million to produce
The studio's president, David Kosse, told Screen Daily, "We think there’s potential for a 'Mama' franchise. We’d like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages. 'Mama' is the first of this type of model that we’ve had enormous success with so there are more opportunities for this kind of film.”
He told Screencrush, "We sort of wore out the subject matter…I never thought this could continue. Sequels are always tricky. I know how studios think but I don’t see ‘Mama’ as something you can exploit because you’re screwing with the original."
"I’m really hoping to jump into some other movies right now," he added.
Muschietti directed the short film which formed the basis for "Mama," his feature directorial debut.
However, despite Muschietti's lack of interest, it would't be at all surprising if Universal move ahead with the idea, even if del Toro and Chastain likewise bristle at the idea.
Would you want to see a "Mama" sequel?
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling