Universal eyes 'Mama' sequel although director Andrés Muschietti isn't interested
Jessica Chastain Guillermo del Toro
After scoring nearly $70 million at the domestic box office, it's no surprise that Universal is already talking about sequelizing the Guillermo del Toro-produced low-budget horror film "Mama."
"Mama," which starred "Zero Dark Thirty's" Jessica Chastain and was directed by first-timer Andres Muschietti, only cost around $15 million to produce
The studio's president, David Kosse, told Screen Daily, "We think there’s potential for a 'Mama' franchise. We’d like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages. 'Mama' is the first of this type of model that we’ve had enormous success with so there are more opportunities for this kind of film.”
He told Screencrush, "We sort of wore out the subject matter…I never thought this could continue. Sequels are always tricky. I know how studios think but I don’t see ‘Mama’ as something you can exploit because you’re screwing with the original."
"I’m really hoping to jump into some other movies right now," he added.
Muschietti directed the short film which formed the basis for "Mama," his feature directorial debut.
However, despite Muschietti's lack of interest, it would't be at all surprising if Universal move ahead with the idea, even if del Toro and Chastain likewise bristle at the idea.
Would you want to see a "Mama" sequel?
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.