TV Ratings: 'The Following' debuts strong, but CBS wins Monday
Kevin Bacon serial killer thriller has season's second-best drama debut
Fast National ratings for Monday, January 21, 2013.
The Kevin Bacon/Kevin Williamson serial killer drama "The Following" got off to a solid start in the ratings — the best for any new drama this season other than NBC's "Revolution," which had a much stronger lead-in — which helped make FOX a strong second place to CBS in the Monday night ratings. Meanwhile, the CW's "The Carrie Diaries" dipped a bit from its soft debut last week, and the numbers of NBC's "Deception" continued to slide.
For the night, CBS averaged a 3.0 rating among adults 18-49 and 10.34 million viewers overall, while FOX did a 2.7 demo rating with 9.43 million viewers. ABC was third (2.3, 7.9 million), followed by NBC (2.0, 5.25 million) and the CW (0.4, 1.04 million).
8 p.m. -- A new "How I Met Your Mother" and a "Big Bang Theory" repeat combined to average a 3.4 demo rating and 10.27 million viewers for CBS. The first hour of "The Bachelor" (2.5, 7.54 million) put ABC in second in the demo, followed by a new "Bones" (2.3, 8.47 million), up about 9 percent over last week's numbers. (Perhaps it benefited from the metric tonnage of "The Following" ads FOX aired during Sunday's NFC Championship Game?) The first hour of NBC's "The Biggest Loser" did a 2.3 and 6.06 million viewers, while "The Carrie Diaries" (0.5, 1.28 million) was down about 17 percent in the demo and down 20 percent among viewers overall.
9 p.m. -- New episodes of "Two Broke Girls" and "Mike & Molly" combined (3.5, 11.16 million) to win the hour for CBS, but "The Following" premiere (3.1, 10.38 million) was up 35 percent over its "Bones" lead-in, and the audience was virtually identical from the first half-hour to the second, which suggests those who tuned in liked what they saw. The second hours of "Bachelor" and "Biggest Loser" both pulled a 2.5 demo rating, though the ABC show was watched by 7.42 million viewers, and the NBC one by 6.09 million. A new "90210" (0.4, 788,000) was in fifth place for the CW.
10 p.m. -- CBS won the hour with "Hawaii Five-0" (2.2, 9.58 million), though the episode was down slightly from last week's chose-your-own-ending stunt. ABC was second with "Castle" (2.0, 8.72 million), while "Deception" (1.3, 3.61 million) dropped another 19 percent from last week's low number.
News From Our Partners
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set