'Transformers 4' likely to be set in China in pursuit of bigger box-office
Move will help secure a lucrative release in the Communist nation
The "Transformers" franchise may be heading to China - all in pursuit of the almighty dollar.
According to Vulture, Paramount and director Michael Bay are bent on assuring a massive rollout for "Transformers 4" in the East Asian country by both setting and filming the sequel on the Chinese mainland with a local production partner. In addition, cultural censors are reportedly being given a say in the film's depiction of Chinese military forces so as to assure they come off favorably.
With 1.3 billion citizens, the upwardly-mobile nation has become a lucrative market for American movies, with studios clamoring to secure top-shelf releases for their films there - all under strict standards and quotas set down by the Communist government. By giving the Chinese culture a more active role in the process - not to mention showcasing the country's locations in the film itself - American studios can assure a more favorable run for their blockbuster titles in Chinese theaters.
Partnering with a Chinese production company serves as an added bonus by assuring that a film is counted as a domestic rather than a foreign production - all the better to secure a more beneficial release date and rollout in the country. This strategy was most recently utilized by Disney when they partnered with Chinese media company DMG on the forthcoming superhero threequel "Iron Man 3," which is being partially filmed there.
"Transformers 4," which has set Mark Wahlberg to star in the lead role, is slated for release on June 29, 2014.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!