Tom Hanks making his Broadway debut in 2013
'Lucky Guy' from Nora Ephron heads to the Great White Way in spring
NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Hanks will play a gutsy New York City newspaper columnist when he makes his debut on Broadway in the spring.
Producers of Nora Ephron's play "Lucky Guy" announced Thursday that Hanks will play Mike McAlary in the stage biography. Hanks, a two-time Oscar winner, had been in negotiations for the role when Ephron died this summer.
Previews begin March 1 at the Broadhurst Theatre and an opening night is set for April 1.
McAlary, the city's one-time dominant tabloid reporter, got the first interview with Abner Louima, a Haitian immigrant who was sodomized and beaten by white police officers at a station house in 1997. McAlary would win the Pulitzer Prize the next year but would die of cancer a few months later at age 41.
The director of "Lucky Guy" will be George C. Wolfe.
In June, lead producer Colin Callender said his team could "think of no more fitting tribute to her extraordinary writing and remarkable body of work" than to proceed with plans to produce Ephron's play.
Hanks is the star of such films as "Splash," ''Forrest Gump," ''Philadelphia," ''Sleepless in Seattle," ''Apollo 13" and "Saving Private Ryan."
Ephron, who died June 26 at age 71, gained recognition as the writer of films such as "When Harry Met Sally" and "Sleepless in Seattle," both starring Hanks.
McAlary, who worked at both the New York Daily News and The New York Post, has already been the subject of a play — Dan Klores' "The Wood," which opened off-Broadway at the Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre last year. He was said to be the inspiration for the character played by Randy Quaid in Ron Howard's "The Paper."
Copyright (2012) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing