Tom Cruise fights the future in new 'Oblivion' trailer
Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough co-star in sci-fi epic
Tom Cruise's upcoming sci-fi adventure "Oblivion" has a new international trailer which seems to reveal a bit more about the futuristic film's plot than the initial preview.
Sixty years after an alien invasion has reduced Earth to a poisonous ruin, Jack Harper (Cruise) patrols the desolate landscape and fixes scanning droids, under the watchful eye of his team mate played by Andrea Riseborough. However, Harper breaks protocol when humans appear, and one of them (Olga Kurylenko) may be a clue to his forgotten past.
Watch the new trailer here:
The trailer starts out as typical post-apocalyptic fare, with Harper playing the role of "Wall*E," if he were a handsome, gun-toting movie star instead of a wordless robot. It soon shifts gears into action territory, with Cruise facing down rogue robots, mysterious cloaked figures and Morgan Freeman as a cigar-chomping badass, who appears to be the leader of some sort of rebellion. The trailer may also trigger memories of Cruise's role in "Minority Report," while his character name will likely lead to a number of "Jack Reacher" references.
Joseph Kosinski ("Tron: Legacy") directed the film and it looks like he has plenty of cool toys to play with. He co-wrote the script with William Monahan ("The Departed"), Karl Gajdusek ("Last Resort"), and new "Star Wars" writer Michael Arndt.
Cruise will soon be seen back in sci-fi mode in Doug Liman's upcoming "All You Need is Kill."
"Oblivion" opens April 19.
What do you think of the new trailer?
News From Our Partners
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'