'Thor' sequel gets a villain: Christopher Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed
'Dr. Who' thesp to play Dark Elves of Svartalfheim ruler in 'The Dark World'
Chris Hemsworth officially has a nemesis to do battle with in "Thor: The Dark World."
British actor Christopher Eccleston, perhaps best known for playing the Ninth Doctor on the BBC series "Doctor Who" for a single season, has been cast as Malekith the Accursed in the upcoming Marvel sequel, according to Deadline. For the uninitiated, Malekith is ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim, a superhuman race of magical creatures that was first introduced in Thor #344 (published in June 1984).
It should be noted that "Casino Royale" star Mads Mikkelsen was originally rumored for the villain role, but was forced to drop out after committing to play the title character in NBC's mid-season procedural "Hannibal."
Rumors that the Elves would be involved in the sequel's storyline broke back in June, when stuntman John Grogan all but spelled it out in an interview he gave with the website I Review Too. Consider this confirmation.
Eccleston's other credits include "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" (in which he played villainous weapons master James McCullen/Destro) and Danny Boyle's "28 Days Later." He most recently starred in the three-part BBC drama series "Blackout."
"Thor: The Dark World" is slated for release on November 8, 2013. Returning cast members include Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skarsgard, Idris Elba, Ray Stevenson and Rene Russo, with "Chuck" star Zachary Levi slated to step in for Joshua Dallas ("Once Upon a Time") as Fandral.
Are you a fan of Eccleston? How do you feel about Malekith as the film's main villain? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts