'The New Normal' will take on 'Honey Boo Boo' in Halloween episode
Also: Marlo Thomas to guest star as a mentor to Ellen Barkin's character
NBC's "The New Normal" is jumping on the "Honey Boo Boo" bandwagon.
During a conference call with reporters earlier today, creator Ryan Murphy revealed that the new comedy series starring Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells will be paying homage to the TLC reality sensation in the show's upcoming Halloween episode.
"I’m stopped every day and hear about that [show] every day," said Murphy. "We came up with that whole idea because Bebe [Wood, who plays the young daughter of Georgia King's character] is such an eccentric, exotic child and she was doing that imitation while we were shooting the pilot, so of course I had to take that and run with it."
The episode in question will see the series' central "family" - Bartha and Rannells play David and Bryan, a gay couple who hire a single mother named Goldie (King) to be their surrogate - dressing up as the "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" clan for Halloween after Bryan learns that Goldie's eight-year-old daughter Shania (Wood) is a fan of the series.
In addition to the "Honey Boo Boo" news, Murphy also revealed that TV legend Marlo Thomas ("That Girl") will guest star on an upcoming episode of the series as the owner of a real estate company who becomes a mentor to Ellen Barkin's character. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the actress will pop up somewhere around the show's 10th episode.
You can read Alan's review of "The New Normal" pilot here.
Have you been watching "The New Normal"? Sound off below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million