'The Hunger Games' racks up huge sales in home entertainment launch
Franchise-starter moved 3.8 million DVD/Blu-ray copies in its first weekend
Shocker: "The Hunger Games" is racking up blockbuster sales in the home entertainment market.
The Jennifer Lawrence-starrer sold an estimated 3.8 million DVD and Blu-ray copies in its first weekend of North American release, according to Lionsgate, with the title also becoming the studio's biggest-ever digital and on demand launch. The film also set a record on Zune Video for Xbox, pulling in more first-day sales than any other title in the streaming service's history.
In addition, Blu-ray copies accounted for 35% of the film's first-weekend sales, a fact celebrated by Lionsgate Executive Vice President and General Manager of Home Entertainment Ron Schwartz, who said in a statement: "We are especially pleased to see more than one third of its first weekend units sold in the higher margin Blu-ray format, a remarkably high percentage."
"The Hunger Games" grossed over $407 million at the North American box-office, and over $684 million worldwide. The film's upcoming sequel, "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire," is slated for release on November 22, 2013.
Did you buy "The Hunger Games" on DVD or Blu-ray this weekend? Let us know in the comments.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H