'The Hobbit' wraps principal photography, heads to Comic-Con
Peter Jackson announces end of filming via Facebook
That's a wrap on principal photography for "The Hobbit." Peter Jackson announced the end of filming via Facebook, bringing to a close a marathon production that started back in March 2011 in New Zealand.
Although Jackson has been in production on the back-to-back "Hobbit" films for nearly a year and a half, there were enough breaks in the schedule to cap the number of shooting days at 266. As for what comes next, Jackson's Facebook post noted: "Next stop, the cutting room. Oh, and Comic Con!"
"The Hobbit" hits Comic-Con on Saturday, July 14, for an eagerly anticipated panel. Both fans and the entertainment industry will be watching to see if the buzz out of San Diego is any better than the underwhelming reactions generated by a 10 minute preview at Las Vegas CinemaCon back in April. The main point of debate was an unconventional visual style due to the film's 48 frames per second shooting rate.
Expectations for "The Hobbit" are still running high, considering Jackson's previous J.R.R. Tolkien-adapted "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy brought in close to $3 billion in worldwide box office and collectively won 17 Oscars.
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" opens Dec. 14 and "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" is scheduled to follow a year later, Dec. 13, 2013.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
9 days ago
28 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy