The-Dream and Malik Yusef confirm collaborations with Kanye West on new album
'No Church In the Wild' singer releasing 'Fourplay' on May 7, is working with Beyonce
LOS ANGELES -- Kanye West may not have shown up to the Grammys, but he still very much was a part of the honors. He and Jay-Z's project Watch the Throne took home awards for "N*ggas in Paris" (Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song) and "No Church In the Wild" (Best Rap/Sung Collaboration).
The-Dream and Frank Ocean comprised the "sung" part of the latter, and both stood alongside Jay-Z to collect the award during the telecast ceremony. The-Dream also headed backstage, to say a few words about his new album "Fourplay" due May 7, but also to confirm he'd be working on West's next record. He said he's flying to Paris to record with West "in a couple of weeks."
"Hopefully we can get another Grammy together," he said. (He was also shy on details on another big project: writing songs for Beyonce. The-Dream said he's working with Queen B, but has otherwise been told to "zip it" in talking about it.)
He's not the only act to firm up recording plans with West to reporters at the Awards. Longtime collaborator Malik Yusef was also on hand, and he ended up describing his efforts with West akin to "work camps," saying recording can be "tortuous."
"He is a perfectionist, obviously. It's harsh," he said, noting that whether they're in Paris or Hawaii, it's a labor. "[West] says no to a hundred things."
As to the specifics of sound and scope, Yusef said "I can't talk too much about it. Just remember black music, the black experience. It's a throwback to that era," he said, but "a distillation of what's happening in the modern world."
What it won't have is a lot of West singing, or at least not as much singing as he did on 2008's "808s & Heartbreak."
"I don't know if we'd ever revisit that amount of singing," Yusef said.
News From Our Partners
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock