'The Avengers' beaming up for outer space screening
Marvel makes arrangements for the film to be uplinked to the International Space Station
Astronauts stationed 220 miles above the Earth's surface are getting a special treat, courtesy of America's favorite superhero team.
In collaboration with NASA, Marvel Studios has made arrangements to hold a special screening of their blockbuster film "The Avengers" for the crew of the International Space Station (abbreviated as ISS). The movie will be delivered via an uplink from NASA's Mission Control in Houston, Texas.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Added Dan Cook, a psychological support coordinator working with NASA: “These are the types of things that help to keep the crew connected to home, which is a huge morale boost while being away for long periods of time.“
The crew members currently inhabiting the ISS are Don Pettit (U.S.), Joe Acaba (U.S.), Andre Kuipers (Europe Space Agency), Oleg Kononenko (Russia), Gennady Padalka (Russia) and Sergei Revin (Russia). The six individuals are part of the station's current mission, dubbed Expedition 31.
It's worth mentioning that NASA's collaboration with Marvel on the film goes back to principal photography, when the space agency allowed the studio to shoot at their Plum Brook Station's Space Power Facility in Sandusky, Ohio.
"The Avengers" has so far grossed over $1.3 billion worldwide.
Thoughts on the ISS screening, "Avengers" fans? Sound off in the comments!
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
18 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama