'The Avengers' beaming up for outer space screening
Marvel makes arrangements for the film to be uplinked to the International Space Station
Astronauts stationed 220 miles above the Earth's surface are getting a special treat, courtesy of America's favorite superhero team.
In collaboration with NASA, Marvel Studios has made arrangements to hold a special screening of their blockbuster film "The Avengers" for the crew of the International Space Station (abbreviated as ISS). The movie will be delivered via an uplink from NASA's Mission Control in Houston, Texas.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Added Dan Cook, a psychological support coordinator working with NASA: “These are the types of things that help to keep the crew connected to home, which is a huge morale boost while being away for long periods of time.“
The crew members currently inhabiting the ISS are Don Pettit (U.S.), Joe Acaba (U.S.), Andre Kuipers (Europe Space Agency), Oleg Kononenko (Russia), Gennady Padalka (Russia) and Sergei Revin (Russia). The six individuals are part of the station's current mission, dubbed Expedition 31.
It's worth mentioning that NASA's collaboration with Marvel on the film goes back to principal photography, when the space agency allowed the studio to shoot at their Plum Brook Station's Space Power Facility in Sandusky, Ohio.
"The Avengers" has so far grossed over $1.3 billion worldwide.
Thoughts on the ISS screening, "Avengers" fans? Sound off in the comments!
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
15 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults