'The Apparition' star Ashley Greene talks horror movies and video games
Director Todd Lincoln also explains what makes the film unique
"The Apparition" is the latest horror film trying to scare you to death (and back again), and HitFix's Chris Eggertsen sat down with star Ashley Greene and director Todd Linclon to talk about the film, horror history, crying on cue and more.
In the film, Greene and Sebastian Stan play a young couple whose home is terrorized by apparitions conjured up in a college parapsychology experiment gone wrong.
In the above video, the "Twilight" star talks about the guys who auditioned to play to the evil hands who grope her in the film(as seen on the poster), and the difficulty of crying on cue over and over.
As far as her preferred horror films, Greene cites "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Shining" (which she calls "terrifying"). However, "Poltergeist" was the biggest influence on the "The Apparition," which attempts to emulate the 1985 film by "toying with your emotions and feeding on your fear." She also admits -- somewhat surprisingly -- to being a tomboy growing up, even obsessing over video games.
Below, first-time director Lincoln talks about what he think makes a film scary these days, suggesting that audiences' imaginations are the best tool a filmmaker has. He says that scares come from the things "you don't see and what we don't show and what's not explained."
For "The Apparition," Lincoln combined styles from films from throughout the decades, like "Poltergeist," John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" and the more recent "The Strangers," while staying grounded in the real life paranormal experiments that have performed since the '70s.
Does he believe in the supernatural? "Yes, absolutely," Lincoln states, revealing that he grew up in a supposedly haunted house in Tulsa, Okla.
The film also stars Tom Felton (Draco in the "Harry Potter" films), Julianna Guill, and Luke Pasqualino.
"The Apparition" is now in theaters.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival