Taylor Swift's 'I Knew You Were Trouble' video leads her astray: Watch
Reeve Carney takes our golden girl down a dark path
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating n/a
Taylor Swift’s a good girl led astray in her edgy new video for “I Knew You Were Trouble,” which debuted on MTV today. It’s her 23rd video and she’s releasing it on her 23rd birthday. Yay synchronicity! The song is on "Red," her new album which leapt back to No. 1 on the Billboard 200 this week.
The video opens as Swift wakes up in the morning on the littered ground, (“the cold hard ground” of the song’s lyrics), seemingly the only one left over from a hell of a rave the night before. The memories start to come back in flashes as New Wave/Post Punk Swift, in skinny jeans, a wig with pink highlights, and a torn t-shirt, tries to reconstruct the past 24 hours. Or she’s figuring out how the hell everyone else left and now she doesn’t have a ride home.
[More after the jump...]
Reeve Carney, who starred in as Spider-Man on Broadway’s “Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark,” plays Swift’s tattooed love boy in the video. As the music starts, he’s all PG-rated danger. You know the type: he stands up when he’s driving, he’s (of course) in a band, he has a mysterious past and she can’t stay away, even when she catches him kissing someone else. It’s like a moth to a flame.
It’s a gritty, dark video, full of seedy hotel rooms and public bathrooms with dirty tiles and mirrors. She keeps her image clean as there’s not a drink or hint of drugs anywhere in sight, but the quick cuts, club culture and flirtation with dubstep will probably make it a non-starter for any of her country video outlets.
A long voice-over narration opens the video with Swift talking about getting lost and still wondering how it all happened: “How can the devil be pulling you toward someone who looks so much like an angel when he’s smiling at you?”
It's a big day for Swift: this morning she was nominated for a Golden Globe for best original song for "Safe & Sound" from "Hunger Games."
News From Our Partners
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013