Taylor Swift soars over Adele and Bruno Mars in Music Power Rankings
Britney Spears and Mariah Carey also make the list
1. 12-12-12 Concert: The nearly six-hour Boomerfest raised more than $35 million for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. From the line-up however, it would appear that only old, white rockers care about helping hurricane victims.
2. Taylor Swift: It’s a banner week as “Red” returns to No. 1, Swift earns her first Golden Globes nomination, and she celebrates her 23rd birthday with new beau, One Direction’s Harry Styles. Hmmm, which one of these will we get a song about first?
3. Adele: “21” is the gift that just keeps on giving. Billboard names the British singer the biggest artist of 2012 and her 2011 album the biggest seller. The sky’s not falling out of her career any time soon.
4. Rush: The power trio finally gets into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after years of lobbying bitching by its fans. KISS fans will now need to amp up their game.
5. Bruno Mars: He lands his 4th No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 shorter than any other solo male artist since Bobby Vinton 48 years ago. Maybe they can record a doo-wop duet together.
6. Whitney Houston: It’s a sad honor to be sure, but Houston was the “top trending” search of the year. Hey, at least the late legend came in ahead of Psy, who galloped into second place.
7. Britney Spears: Forbes names Spears the richest woman in music in 2012, shortly after naming Dr. Dre the richest artist in music. Note: neither one achieved this feat by putting out a new album in 2012. That tells you all you need to know about album sales, doesn’t it?
8. Mariah Carey: Eighteen years after she first released it, the new holiday classic “All I Want For Christmas” finally enters the Top 40.
9. Depeche Mode: The British post-punk pioneers sign a new worldwide deal with Columbia Records. We hear it comes with their own personal Jesus.
10. Jenni Rivera: RIP
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013