Taylor Swift slated to top nearest competitor on Billboard 200 by 1 million copies
Who comes in a distant second on next week's chart?
So there was no doubt that Taylor Swift’s “Red” was going to come in at No. 1 next week, the only lingering question is how much over 1 million copies will it go?
With a few days left until Nielsen SoundScan closes on Sunday, it looks like “Red” could sell up to 1.25 million copies. That’s 1 million copies over its nearest competitor, Kendrick Lamar’s “Good Kid: M.A.A.D. City.”
That title will sell a very healthy 235,000-245,000 copies, which on almost any other week would land him at No. 1. No so next week. Swift’s feat will make her the first female artist in the 21-year SoundScan era to sell more than 1 million copies of two albums in their opening weeks, according to Billboard.
Three other albums debut in the Top 10: Tony Bennett’s “Viva Duets,” an album of the legend singing his greatest hits with Latin artists, will likely sell up to 35,000 copies to come in at No. 5. Rockers Stone Sour’s “House of Gold & Bones -Part 1” will bow at No. 8, while Lady Antebellum’s holiday album, “On This Winter’s Night,” lands at No. 9, selling between 19,000-22,000. While that’s very commendable, fellow country artist Scotty McCreery came in at No.4 this week with his holiday offering, “Christmas With Scotty,” which sold more than 40,000 this week.
Of the returning albums, this week’s No. 1, Jason Aldean’s “Night Train,” likely drops to No. 3, still selling a strong 145,000. Former No. 1, “Babel,” from Mumford & Sons, lands at No. 4 with sales of up to 60,000. Pink’s “The Truth About Love” hangs in there at No. 6, moving up to 30,000 copies. Brandy’s comeback album, “Two Eleven,” drops to No. 7, while Little Big Town’s “Tornado” will likely be at No. 10. A slight caveat: Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Scotty McCreery and Adele’s albums are all too close to call right now for positions 9-12.
News From Our Partners
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013