Taylor Swift new 'Red' song goes through 50 shades: Listen
Title track from her new album laments a lost love
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating n/a
The drip toward the Oct. 22 release of Taylor Swift’s fourth studio album, “Red,” continues. Today, we get a lyric video for the title track.
“Red” is about —say it with me— a love gone wrong. Musically, it falls closer to the upbeat pop of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” than the quiet country beauty of ballad “Begin Again.” In fact, the only thing remotely country about “Red” is the banjo that periodically appears in the tune.
[More after the jump...]
The song uses the color wheel to describe the seasons of Swift’s relationship. “Losing him was blue like I’ve never known/Missing him was dark grey, all alone/Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met/But loving him was red.”
“Red” builds from a slow start to a full-out rocker musicially(I use that as a relative term), complete with guitar solo. However, Swift’s vocal delivery remains pure pop, including the popular stutter step on the word “red.” Her Sonically, it’s more crowded than the two other selections we’ve heard from the album so far and the production sounds a little retro.
What do you think of “Red?”
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013