Sundance roundup: 'Lovelace,' 'Prince Avalanche' and more snag distributors
The acquisitions flew fast and furious at Sundance on Wednesday, with no less than five festival titles nabbing distributors in a flurry of Park City dealmaking. Among the lucky films were Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman's porn drama "Lovelace" starring Amanda Seyfried and "Prince Avalanche," a new comedy from "Pineapple Express" writer/director David Gordon Green starring Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch. See below for a full roundup.
- "Prince Avalanche" (review): The latest from "Pineapple Express" and "All the Real Girls" writer/director David Gordon Green has been acquired by Magnolia Pictures, who are eyeing a Summer 2013 release for the quirky comedy. The film, which was loosely adapted from the Icelandic movie "Either Way," stars Emile Hirsch and Paul Rudd as road workers who form an unlikely bond while painting traffic lines on a rural highway. It features a score by Texas post-rockers Explosions in the Sky.
- "Lovelace" (review): The porn biopic from Oscar-winning documentary directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman ("Howl," "The Celluloid Closet") - who helmed from a script by Andy Bellin - was picked up by The Weinstein Co.'s multi-platform label Radius-TWC for a reported $3 million. Starring Amanda Seyfried as infamous "Deep Throat" star Linda Lovelace, the film boasts a stellar supporting cast including Peter Sarsgaard, Juno Temple, Hank Azaria, Wes Bentley, Adam Brody, Bobby Canavale, James Franco, Debi Mazar, Sharon Stone, Chloe Sevigny, and Chris Noth (phew!). Radius-TWC is looking to give the film a mixed theatrical-VOD release in the fall.
- "Inequality For All" (review): Radius-TWC also nabbed this Jacob Kornbluth-directed documentary that focuses on former Clinton Labor Secretary and economic specialist Robert Reich, who highlights the widening income inequality in the U.S. Radius-TWC is planning to distribute sometime this summer.
- "Two Mothers": The racy drama about two best friends (Naomi Watts and Robin Wright) who embark on passionate affairs with one another's hunky sons (Xavier Samuel and James Frecheville) has become the very first acquisition for new distributor Exclusive Releasing. The film was directed by Anne Fontaine ("Coco Before Chanel") from a script by Oscar-winner Christopher Hampton ("Atonement," "A Dangerous Method"), who adapted from Nobel Prize-winning author Doris Lessing's short story "The Grandmothers."
- "We Are What We Are" (review): Horror film centering on a family of cannibals was picked up by eOne for a price in the low seven-figures, according to reports. Directed by Jim Mickle ("Stake Land") and starring Ambyr Childers, Bill Sage, Julia Garner, Michael Parks, Wyatt Russell and Kelly McGillis, the film is being eyed as a platform release.
Stay tuned for more updates from Park City as they develop.
The 2013 Sundance Film Festival runs through January 27.
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
Let Streaming Genie help you.