Steven Tyler and Stevie Nicks nominated for 2013 Songwriters Hall of Fame
Elvis Costello, B.B. King, Annie Lennox, Vince Gill, more also in the running
NEW YORK (AP) — Elvis Costello, B.B. King and Ray Davies are among the nominees for the 2013 Songwriters Hall of Fame.
They're joined by a slew of top acts, including Jimmy Buffett, Vince Gill and Rod Temperton, who wrote Michael Jackson's "Thriller," ''Rock With You" and "Off the Wall."
Songwriters Hall gave The Associated Press a list of nominees in advance of the official announcement, set for Oct. 16. The gala takes place June 13 at the New York Marriott Marquis.
Also nominated are Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, former Eurythmics bandmates Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Aeromsith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, Bobby Womack and Foreigner's Lou Gramm and Mick Jones, who said in an interview that he's excited to be highlighted as a songwriter.
"It means a lot that those songs have been recognized, and maybe, hopefully a little part of history," Jones said of the band's hits, which include "I Want to Know What Love Is" and "Waiting for a Girl Like You."
Non-performing songwriters up for nomination include "Chain of Fools" songwriter Don Covay, country music songwriter Bobby Braddock and Holly Knight, who co-wrote Pat Benatar's "Love Is a Battlefield" and Tina Turner's "Better Be Good to Me."
Linda Perry, the writer behind Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful," is also nominated alongside Bob McDill, Rick Nowels, Randy Goodrum, Tony Hatch and JD Souther. Writing duos Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter, and P.F. Sloan and Steve Barri will also compete.
Eligible voters can select two nominees from the list of songwriter-performers and three non-performing songwriters. Voting ends Dec. 17.
AP Writer John Carruci contributed to this report.
Copyright (2012) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness