Steven Spielberg confirms that 'Tintin' sequel is aiming for Christmas 2015 release
'Hobbit' helmer Peter Jackson still onboard to direct
Tintin is gearing up for his next big screen adventure.
A recent interview with Steven Spielberg confirms Peter Jackson's earlier statement about when we can expect the return of the animated hero, based on the beloved comic book series by Herge.
The duo previously teamed for 2011's "The Adventures of Tintin," which was always envisaged as the first of a trilogy. Spielberg directed, while he and Jackson co-produced, with the latter planning to direct the first sequel.
Months ago, Jackson revealed that "Tintin 2" was aiming for a release sometime in 2015, and Spielberg confirmed the tentative plans earlier this week.
In an interview with The Times of India, Speilberg said, "Peter Jackson is directing the next one, I’m producing. We have a script and we’re going to start performance capture probably at the end of this year. Don’t hold me to it, but we’re hoping the film will come out around Christmas-time in 2015."
"We know which books we’re making," he added, "we can’t share that now but we’re combining two books which were always intended to be combined by Herge."
The timetable seems a little tight, considering how busy Jackson will be with the next two "Hobbit" films over the next year or so. "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" opens this December, while "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" follows in December, 2014.
Meanwhile, Spielberg also revealed yet another future project, this one to be shot in India, although further details aren't yet known.
He explained, "We have finalized a script for a movie that DreamWorks and our partners Reliance Entertainment plan to make together. Part of it will take place on the India-Pakistan border in Kashmir. But we’re still trying to figure out the casting, locations and who’s going to direct it."
"The Adventures of Tintin" grossed over $373 million worldwide.
What do you want to see in the next "Tintin" film?
News From Our Partners
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts