'Step Up''s Adam Shankman on stealing 'Resident Evil' titles and making me cry: Watch
We also chat with cast member 'tWitch' as well as the film's director and choreographer
Talk about exclusives: when I spoke with producer Adam Shankman and director Scott Speer at the junket for "Step Up Revolution 3D" over the weekend, the duo couldn't resist telling me their idea for the next installment in the lucrative dance-chise.
"We were just talking about how maybe for the next one we would do it...in a swimming pool in space," said Shankman, who most recently directed Broadway musical adaptation "Rock of Ages." "Yeah, 'Swim Up.' On the international space station...in 3D."
He was joking, though oddly enough that does sound like a movie I'd kinda like to see.
But let's not think about the future....let's focus on the here and now. Because a "Revolution" is going down this weekend, my friends, and you'd better prepare yourself because this is gonna be the biggest, baddest, sexiest, 3D-iest "Step Up" movie yet. Word.
Well, mission accomplished, sir, because that's exactly what I did. I also nearly cried (seriously), and it's all thanks to cast member Peter Gallagher.
"That's a big win," said Shankman, responding to my confession that I'd nearly lost it during a lyrical film-ending dance sequence that features several close-ups of cast member Gallagher's misty blue eyes. "I mean, we literally, if you wanna know actually how much we care about these, we struggled with how much, how many frames of him tearing [up], and did a tear actually...? Cause we have that. Maybe that's on a director's [cut]."
So, how does Shankman really feel about snagging the "Revolution" subtitle away from the producers of the "Resident Evil" franchise (my own allegation, for which there is absolutely no legal basis)? Find out by watching the rest of our conversation - in addition to snippets of my interview with cast member Stephen "tWitch" Boss and choreographer Jamal Sims - in the video above!
"Step Up Revolution" hits theaters this Friday.
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]