'Sparkle's' Derek Luke, Mike Epps and Omari Hardwick on their love for Jordin Sparks
Why did Luke, Omari Hardwick and Mike Epps delay our interview?
Hitfix’s interview with the men of “Sparkle” got off to a late start. That’s because Mike Epps, Derek Luke and Omari Hardwick heard their female co-stars, Jordin Sparks, Tiki Sumpter, and Carmen Ejogo, were right down the hall at the Four Seasons and Luke and Hardwick wanted to run down, say hello and dispense some hugs.
Our interview opens with my asking about what it was like on the set of Whitney Houston's last film since I’ve never had a junket stopped so the stars could go say hi to their co-stars.
“Sometimes when you finish a movie, you just kindly [feel will you] excuse yourself from the rest of my life’,” jokes Luke, adding that was definitely not the case on “Sparkle.” “This is...a continued friendship.”
Hardwick plays Levi, a guy who can’t really catch a break but who never loses his dignity because of the choices Hardwick made after he read the script. “I just brought what I thought my character would be better represented as, and that would be to play him honorable, to be elegant,” he says.
Epps plays Satin, a comedian who behaves very badly, in the comic’s darkest performance yet. “One of the advantages that I had was that they made it a comedian,” he says. (In the 1976 original movie, “Sparkle” is a gangster). “Now I’ve got a whole different take on what Satin is. Satin is insecure, he’s funny, he’s in a way, selfish... he wants everyone to accept him, he wants to be loved, and somewhere in his childhood he got hurt.”
Conversely, Luke’s character, artist manager Stix, seems emotionally healthy, whole and totally supportive of Sparks’ character, Sparkle. Such a role could be less than dynamic, but Luke kept him interesting, in part, because of whom he felt he was emulating: his father. “It was the same relationship between him and my mom as Stix had with Sparkle....knowing my dad, I was sort of trying to assume who he was.”
“Sparkle” opens Friday, Aug. 17. Check out our interview with the ladies here.
News From Our Partners
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013