Sofia Coppola's Emma Watson-starrer 'The Bling Ring' nabs U.S. distributor
'Lost in Translation' director's latest delves into real-life celeb-burglary case
Sofia Coppola's "The Bling Ring" has been busted by A24.
The latest film from the "Lost in Translation" director - based on a group of real-life Valley teenagers who burglarized the homes of several high-profile Los Angeles celebrities between October 2008 and August 2009 - has been acquired by the indie distributor for U.S. release. This marks the second title helmed by a member of the famous Coppola family to be picked up by the upstart company as of late; brother Roman Coppola's "A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III" starring Charlie Sheen, Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray was acquired by the distributor back in August.
Starring "Harry Potter" actress Emma Watson alongside Israel Broussard, Katie Chang, Claire Julie, Taissa Farmiga ("American Horror Story"), Leslie Mann and Gavin Rossdale, "The Bling Ring" is Coppola's first big-screen effort since 2010's "Somewhere" starring Stephen Dorff and Elle Fanning. Coppola's screenplay was adapted from the 2010 Vanity Fair article "The Suspects Wore Loubotins" by Nancy Jo Sales.
Emma Watson: Guillermo del Toro's 'Beauty and the Beast' to shoot next summer
'Harry Potter' star says she's 'very excited' to get started on fairytale ret...
There is no release date set at this time.
Also known as the Hollywood Hills Burglar Bunch, the Bling Ring stole over $3 million in goods from the homes of celebrities including Orlando Bloom, Lindsay Lohan, Audrina Patridge and Paris Hilton (the latter of whom is slated appear as herself in the film). A total of seven perpetrators were apprehended by police in October of 2009.
Are you interested in seeing "The Bling Ring" when it hits theaters? Let us know in the comments.
From Oscar award winning writer and director Sofia Coppola, The Bling Ring tells the story of a group of teenagers obsessed with fashion and celebrity that burglarize celebrities’ homes in Los Angeles. Tracking their targets' whereabouts online, they break-in and steal their designer clothes and possessions. Reflecting on the naiveté of youth and the mistakes we all make when young, amplified by today's culture of celebrity and luxury brand obsession, we see through the members of the Bling Ring temptations that almost any teenager would feel. What starts out as teenage fun spins out of control and leaves us with a sobering view of our culture today.
News From Our Partners
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set