'Skyfall's' Sam Mendes not directing Bond 24 after all
Oscar winner too busy with 'King Lear' and other theater commitments
With "Skyfall" earning more than $1 billion at the box office and recently picking up two Oscars, it's understandable that producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli are eager to move forward on Bond 24, but doing so means that Mendes won't be able to commit to the film.
"It has been a very difficult decision not to accept Michael and Barbara’s very generous offer to direct the next Bond movie," he told Empire. "Directing 'Skyfall' was one of the best experiences of my professional life, but I have theatre and other commitments, including productions of 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' and 'King Lear,' that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
"Skyfall" reinvigorated the franchise, bringing 007 back to Square One career-wise, and introducing a new support team for Bond (Daniel Craig) which includes such luminaries as Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris and Ben Whishaw.
Mendes also assembled an ace crew for the film, including Oscar-nominated DP Roger Deakins and Oscar-nominated composer Thomas Newman, but it remains to be seen if they'll return.
"We thoroughly enjoyed working with Sam, he directed our most successful Bond movie ever, 'Skyfall,'" Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli told Empire. "We would have loved to have made the next film with him but completely respect his decision to focus on other projects and hope to have the opportunity to collaborate with him again."
With the "Skyfall" cast and the Bond legacy as prime selling points, however, Broccoli and Wilson shouldn't have trouble attracting another A-list name.
Who would you like to see direct the next Bond adventure?
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]