'Skyfall' songstress Adele's '21' album hits 10 million sales mark
Smash LP reaches the milestone in under two years
Adele's "21" has reached yet another milestone.
The hugely-popular album has officially reached 10 million in sales, according to Nielsen SoundScan (via Billboard). The soul-pop LP reached the mark in under 2 years (92 weeks, to be exact) on the strength of several Top 20 Billboard singles, including "Rolling in the Deep," "Someone Like You," "Set Fire to the Rain" and "Rumour Has It" (the former three of which all hit No. 1).
Fittingly enough, "21" is the 21st album to reach the massive number since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data in 1991, and it reached the milestone faster than any other album since 'N Sync's 2000 LP "No Strings Attached," which hit the mark in only 43 weeks. The Backstreet Boys' 1999 album "Millenium," however, still holds the record for fastest ever; that set hit 10 million in only 39 weeks.
Only seven other SoundScan-era albums have managed 10 million in sales in under two years - in addition to "Millenium" and "No Strings Attached," they are Santana's "Supernatural" (60 weeks), Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" (66 weeks), "The Bodyguard" soundtrack (72 weeks), Creed's "Human Clay" (93 weeks) and Shania Twain's "Come On Over" (96 weeks).
"21," which debuted atop the Billboard 200 with sales of 352,000 copies back in February 2011, has demonstrated phenomenal legs since its release, charting a total of 80 weeks in the Top 10 and 24 non-consecutive weeks at No. 1.
While Adele has not released an album since "21," her "Skyfall" theme debuted at No. 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 last month. It currently sits at No. 21 on the chart and has also been certified Gold by the RIAA.
Have you bought Adele's "21"? Do you think it's worthy of the 10 million figure? Sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas