'Skyfall' director Sam Mendes likely to return for next James Bond film
John Logan reportedly working on outline for Bond 24
"Skyfall" director Sam Mendes guided to film to become the biggest box office performer in James Bond franchise history, but he still hasn't committed to returning to the series. However, he may be one step closer to signing on.
Not long ago, screenwriters Neal Purvis and Robert Wade revealed that Mendes had an idea for the next film's plot line, leading to speculation that he will indeed return to helm. Later, however, co-screenwriter John Logan hinted that the as-yet-untitled Bond 24 and 25 would feature one long story arc, and Mendes' presence seemed less certain. That idea has reportedly been scrapped, with Bonds 24 and 25 being planned as stand-alone features.
According to The Daily Mail, while Mendes isn't yet confirmed for Bond 24, he’s "75 per cent" committed. Logan is currently outlining the film, and Mendes may just be waiting for a finished script.
Similarly, HitFix's Gregory Ellwood did a Q&A with "Skyfall's" sound team on Tuesday night, where sound mixer Scott Milan said that during the "Skyfall" shoot eight months ago Mendes said he'd thought he'd told the Bond story he wanted to tell. Milan revealed that months later, at Sunday night's BAFTA Awards, Mendes had changed his tune, saying he "might" direct.
Mendes is currently directing Simon Russell Beale in the West End production of Shakespeare's "King Lear," which opens next January. However, it's being speculated that pre-production on Bond 24 could start as early as late this year or early next year.
The rest of the major pieces are already in place. Star Daniel Craig is returning to his signature role as 007, while "Skyfall" revealed a new Bond team -- including M (Ralph Fiennes), Q (Ben Whishaw), and Moneypenny (Naomie Harris) -- who are no doubt ready to begin a new series of adventures.
Do you think Sam Mendes should return to direct Bond 24? If not, who would be a better choice?
News From Our Partners
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats