'Skyfall' director Sam Mendes likely to return for next James Bond film
John Logan reportedly working on outline for Bond 24
"Skyfall" director Sam Mendes guided to film to become the biggest box office performer in James Bond franchise history, but he still hasn't committed to returning to the series. However, he may be one step closer to signing on.
Not long ago, screenwriters Neal Purvis and Robert Wade revealed that Mendes had an idea for the next film's plot line, leading to speculation that he will indeed return to helm. Later, however, co-screenwriter John Logan hinted that the as-yet-untitled Bond 24 and 25 would feature one long story arc, and Mendes' presence seemed less certain. That idea has reportedly been scrapped, with Bonds 24 and 25 being planned as stand-alone features.
According to The Daily Mail, while Mendes isn't yet confirmed for Bond 24, he’s "75 per cent" committed. Logan is currently outlining the film, and Mendes may just be waiting for a finished script.
Similarly, HitFix's Gregory Ellwood did a Q&A with "Skyfall's" sound team on Tuesday night, where sound mixer Scott Milan said that during the "Skyfall" shoot eight months ago Mendes said he'd thought he'd told the Bond story he wanted to tell. Milan revealed that months later, at Sunday night's BAFTA Awards, Mendes had changed his tune, saying he "might" direct.
Mendes is currently directing Simon Russell Beale in the West End production of Shakespeare's "King Lear," which opens next January. However, it's being speculated that pre-production on Bond 24 could start as early as late this year or early next year.
The rest of the major pieces are already in place. Star Daniel Craig is returning to his signature role as 007, while "Skyfall" revealed a new Bond team -- including M (Ralph Fiennes), Q (Ben Whishaw), and Moneypenny (Naomie Harris) -- who are no doubt ready to begin a new series of adventures.
Do you think Sam Mendes should return to direct Bond 24? If not, who would be a better choice?
News From Our Partners
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn