'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' swaps out Clive Owen for Josh Brolin
'Law & Order' star Chris Meloni also joins the Rodriguez-Miller sequel
Only a day after it was revealed that "Looper" star Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be joining the cast of Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller's "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For," two more thesps have been announced for the hard-boiled follow-up.
"Gangster Squad" star Josh Brolin and "Law & Order: SVU"'s Christopher Meloni have both signed on for the upcoming graphic novel adaptation, joining an all-star cast that includes returning members Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson and Jamie King and newbies Dennis Haysbert (stepping in for the late Michael Clarke Duncan as Manute), Jamie Chung (on board to replace Devon Aoki in the role of Miho) and Gordon-Levitt. Brolin has been tapped to replace Clive Owen in the role of Dwight McCarthy, while Meloni will be playing the part of an unnamed cop (a role Deadline describes as a major one).
Though "A Dame to Kill For" is being billed as a sequel to the first "Sin City" film, the story featuring Dwight actually takes place prior to "A Big Fat Kill," the segment in the 2005 original that had Owen in the role. It should be noted that casting a completely different actor actually tracks with the story from the comics, in which Dwight comes out of a major plastic surgery to correct severe facial wounds with a completely different appearance.
"Dwight is a constant character throughout the 'Sin City' world and 'A Dame To Kill For' is a defining episode in his life," said returning co-directors Rodriguez and Miller in a statement. "We're looking forward to Josh's take on Dwight."
Brolin will next be seen in this weekend's period crime thriller "Gangster Squad" opposite Ryan Gosling, Nick Nolte, Emma Stone, Sean Penn and Anthony Mackie. Meloni, meanwhile, has a major role in the upcoming Jackie Robinson biopic "42" directed by Brian Helgeland and a smaller one in this summer's "Man of Steel."
"Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" is currently filming at Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas. It's slated for release on October 4, 2013.
Happy with the addition of Brolin and Meloni to the cast? Let us know in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed