Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand hit the road in 'The Guilt Trip' trailer
The two stars shine in a series of awkward mother and son situations
Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand will match comic wits in the upcoming comedy "The Guilt Trip," and the first trailer promises a surprisingly low-key comic adventure.
Rogen plays a traveling salesman who reluctantly invites his overbearing but well-meaning mother (Streisand, of course) along on an 8-day cross-country road trip, during which he tries to help her kickstart her love life. Along the way, they deal with some typical road movie pitfalls (GPS, old people driving, hitchhikers) and gain some mother-son time at the Grand Canyon, a steakhouse and a strip club.
It appears to be a lot less broad that you'd expect, with the two leads mostly just riffing on the awkwardness of the situation instead of getting into the kind of over-the-top experiences you'd see in a "Vacation" movie or "The Hangover." It looks a lot less edgy than the usual Rogen comedy ("Superbad," "Knocked Up," and so forth), at times even appearing to be downright family-friendly -- except for the strippers and the rape joke.
Anne Fletcher ("The Proposal," "27 Dresses") directed. "Parks and Recreations'" Adam Scott, "Community's" Danny Pudi, Nora Dunn and Yvonne Strahovski co-star, but barely register in the trailer; this appears to be Rogen's and Babs' show through-and-through.
"The Guilt Trip" opens nationwide December 25.
What do you think of the trailer?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
12 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When