Set Visit: Enter the mythical land of Sam Raimi's 'Oz the Great and Powerful'
Take a peek behind the curtain with stars James Franco and Michelle Williams
"My! People come and go so quickly here!" - Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland), "The Wizard of Oz"
Our designated tour guide is leading us through the massive soundstages at a hurried pace, dipping us in and out of several fantastically intricate worlds that I'm detailing in my notepad as fast as my fingers will allow.
Stage 5 [Oz exterior]: "Riverside set on risen platform...enormous tree stump...first time wizard sees Land of Oz...dirt bank, shrubs, smaller trees, grass..."
Stage 6 [Glinda's library]: "Room in Glinda's castle...Glinda and Oz come together here...stone fireplace...plastic sheeting covering walls..."
Stage 7 [Emerald City throne room]: "Gold front doors...Mila Kunis crashes through window on broom...Gold window frames...split staircase...red runner carpet...high windows...Evanora - we meet her standing at top of staircase..."
Stage 2 [Whimsy Woods]: "Gnarled trees, crew everywhere setting up...blue walls...red lights in trees...bumpy yellow brick road, roots grown underneath...wagon w/ wood inside..."
And the costumes, oh the costumes. Designed by industry vet Gary Jones (whose first job was working for Oscar winner Ann Roth on the 1979 hippie-era musical "Hair"), there are a multitude of shapes and colors and designs in every size positively shimmering with creative inspiration from rack after rack after rack. I'm feeling light-headed.
"Black feathered headdress...black stretch leather witch hats...Theodora dress, claws on shoulder...Oz magician robe, purple w/ orange accents...winkie boots, platforms..."
Our tour of Russell Bobbitt's props department, too, has my head spinning. The pen in my hand scratches and blurs. It's much too much, all of it, and yet I can't stop writing. I just can't.
"Mirror...tiny butcher knife....gold coins...'The World Is Filled With Wonders'...'Baum Bros.' circus masks...Land of Oz map...stuffed bunny rabbit...Glinda light-up wand...ruby red ring, hands grasping each side...ticket stub to Baum Bros. circus...brightly-colored scarves...Rube Goldberg-esque firework maker, colored powder on top, 'Acme firework rocket,' gold, copper, pulley, wheel...gold goblet, sword...music box, man and woman dancing, beautiful carved landscape under lid, crescent moon, stars, framed by tree branches, tree branches framed by red curtain scroll - 'With little more than pluck and belief, we made the impossible happen. As your Wizard I hereby decree that henceforth and hereafter the Land of Oz will forever be free!'...brown leather satchel - for Oz...two brooms w/ gnarled handles...compass...green flag w/ gold lion herald/insignia...tiny China Girl dagger..."
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays