Set Visit: Enter the mythical land of Sam Raimi's 'Oz the Great and Powerful'
Take a peek behind the curtain with stars James Franco and Michelle Williams
"My! People come and go so quickly here!" - Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland), "The Wizard of Oz"
Our designated tour guide is leading us through the massive soundstages at a hurried pace, dipping us in and out of several fantastically intricate worlds that I'm detailing in my notepad as fast as my fingers will allow.
Stage 5 [Oz exterior]: "Riverside set on risen platform...enormous tree stump...first time wizard sees Land of Oz...dirt bank, shrubs, smaller trees, grass..."
Stage 6 [Glinda's library]: "Room in Glinda's castle...Glinda and Oz come together here...stone fireplace...plastic sheeting covering walls..."
Stage 7 [Emerald City throne room]: "Gold front doors...Mila Kunis crashes through window on broom...Gold window frames...split staircase...red runner carpet...high windows...Evanora - we meet her standing at top of staircase..."
Stage 2 [Whimsy Woods]: "Gnarled trees, crew everywhere setting up...blue walls...red lights in trees...bumpy yellow brick road, roots grown underneath...wagon w/ wood inside..."
And the costumes, oh the costumes. Designed by industry vet Gary Jones (whose first job was working for Oscar winner Ann Roth on the 1979 hippie-era musical "Hair"), there are a multitude of shapes and colors and designs in every size positively shimmering with creative inspiration from rack after rack after rack. I'm feeling light-headed.
"Black feathered headdress...black stretch leather witch hats...Theodora dress, claws on shoulder...Oz magician robe, purple w/ orange accents...winkie boots, platforms..."
Our tour of Russell Bobbitt's props department, too, has my head spinning. The pen in my hand scratches and blurs. It's much too much, all of it, and yet I can't stop writing. I just can't.
"Mirror...tiny butcher knife....gold coins...'The World Is Filled With Wonders'...'Baum Bros.' circus masks...Land of Oz map...stuffed bunny rabbit...Glinda light-up wand...ruby red ring, hands grasping each side...ticket stub to Baum Bros. circus...brightly-colored scarves...Rube Goldberg-esque firework maker, colored powder on top, 'Acme firework rocket,' gold, copper, pulley, wheel...gold goblet, sword...music box, man and woman dancing, beautiful carved landscape under lid, crescent moon, stars, framed by tree branches, tree branches framed by red curtain scroll - 'With little more than pluck and belief, we made the impossible happen. As your Wizard I hereby decree that henceforth and hereafter the Land of Oz will forever be free!'...brown leather satchel - for Oz...two brooms w/ gnarled handles...compass...green flag w/ gold lion herald/insignia...tiny China Girl dagger..."
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures