Sandy Hook students and Ingrid Michaelson sing 'Rainbow,' Train performs 'Imagine'
Train releases 'Imagine' single to benefit Sandy-devastated Sea Bright
Grab your tissues. There’s no way you can get watch students from Newtown, Conn’s Sandy Hook Elementary performing “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” without tearing up.
One month after the shooting that claimed 26 lives at the school, 21 current and former students from the school sang the “Wizard Of Oz” classic on “Good Morning America.” Singer/songwriter Ingrid Michaelson accompanied the children ukulele on an arrangement of the song made famous by Hawaiian artist Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.
[More after the jump...]
The students recorded a version at the Connecticut home of Talking Heads’ Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth over the weekend. That version is on sale at iTunes and Amazon. Proceeds go to the United Way of Western Connecticut and Newtown Youth Academy. We bet Justin Timberlake wouldn’t mind one bit if “Sandy Hook: Somewhere Over The Rainbow” feat. Ingrid Michaelson knocked his new single, “Suit & Tie” out of the top spot.
Hear it below and go here to download it on iTunes or on Amazon.
While the country continues to grieve over the losses in Newtown, clean-up continues in many of the communities devastated by Hurricane Sandy, including the history oceanside New Jersey town of Sea Bright.
Train has recorded a studio version of John Lennon’s “Imagine,” which is now for sale, also at iTunes, with all proceeds going to Sea Bright Rising. The accompanied video shows the devastation wrought by the storm, but also shows that relief efforts are well underway as rebuilding gets underway.
As you may know, Train performed a benefit concert in Sea Bright for residents and first responders in December after seeing a video of the storm’s damage filmed by Train fan/high school student Charlotte Nagy. VH1 broadcast the performance on Christmas Day.
Download “Imagine” here.
News From Our Partners
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013