'Samurai Jack' movie could still be in the cards says Genndy Tartakovsky
Feature version of the popular animation series gains a smidge of traction at Sony
Ok, first things first: don't get your hopes up too high, "Samurai Jack" fans.
Still, the long-toiling feature film version of the popular animated series (not to be confused with the live-action adaptation "Immortals" director Tarsem Singh has stated he'd like to make) could potentially be moving closer to reality, at least according to the show's creator Genndy Tartakovsky.
“I've been trying so hard every year, and the one amazing thing about 'Jack' is that I did it in 2001, you know, and it still survived," Tartakovsky told IGN in an interview at the Toronto Film Festival, where he recently premiered his upcoming animated comedy "Hotel Transylvania." "There's something about it that's connected with people. And I want it, it's number 1 on my list, and now Bob Osher, the President [of Digital Production at Sony Picture Entertainment], is like 'Hey, let's talk about Jack. Let's see what we can do.' And I go, 'You're going to do a 2D feature animated movie?' and he's like, 'Yeah. Maybe. Let's do some research and let's see.' So it's not dead for sure by any means, and it's still on the top of my list, and I'm trying as hard as I can.”
"Samurai Jack" centers on the exploits of the title character, a young prince who must find a way back to the past after he is banished from Feudal Japan into a dystopian future by a powerful demon. The critically-acclaimed series, which won several Emmys during its run, aired from 2001-2004 on The Cartoon Network before being cancelled partway through its fourth season (the unaired episodes were later made available online). New Line Cinema began the process of developing an animated feature-film version in 2002, but the project was later abandoned.
Are you a "Samurai Jack" fan? Still interested in seeing a feature-film version? Sound off in the comments.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One