Russell Crowe to sink his teeth into Dracula role for director Eli Roth
'Hostel' helmer signs on for Warner Bros.' 'Harker'
Russell Crowe just booked a killer role.
The Oscar-winning actor has officially signed on to star as Dracula in "Harker," a reimagining of the Bram Stoker novel that was written by Lee Shipman and Brian McGreevy. What's more, Eli Roth - who hasn't directed a feature film since 2007's "Hostel: Part II" - is in talks to direct. The film will center on the efforts of Jonathan Harker (written as a Scotland Yard detective in this version of the tale) to bring an end to the blood-sucking exploits of the legendary vampire.
"Harker" has been designed as the first installment of a potential franchise that will follow the adventures of the title character (who has yet to be cast) across several movies. Underlining that reality is the fact that Crowe is only contracted to star in a single film, according to story-breaker Deadline.
Roth is taking over the project from director Jaume Collet-Serra ("Unknown," "Orphan"), who left to pursue other projects. The studio hopes to begin production on the film sometime next year.
Crowe and Roth previously worked together on "The Man with the Iron Fists," a gory action flick which the latter produced and scripted with director RZA (watch the red-band trailer here). That film is expected to hit theaters sometime later this year. Crowe also plays Inspector Javert in "Les Miserables," which is slated for release on December 14.
Do you think Crowe will make a good Dracula? Is Roth the right director for the project? Any casting ideas for Harker? Let your opinions fly in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When