Russell Crowe and Mark Wahlberg face off in 'Broken City' trailer
Catherine Zeta-Jones also stars in Allen Hughes-directed crime drama
Russell Crowe and Mark Wahlberg are two tough cookies who excel at playing characters who just back down from a fight. The pair will butt heads in the upcoming "Broken City," and the brand new trailer gives viewers a glimpse of the tension.
Wahlberg plays a brutish ex-cop who is assigned by the popular mayor (Crowe) to follow the mayor's potentially adulterous wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones). Along the way, Wahlberg discovers a much bigger secret that could tear the city apart.
Watch the trailer here:
Crowe adds a gruff, physically imposing side to what appears to be a the on former NYC mayor Giuliani, while Wahlberg seems to be eschewing his sense of humor for straight-up meanness. It's a combo that should produce some significant dramatic fireworks, even if the plot seems pretty familiar. Zeta-Jones' initial comeback in "Rock of Ages" barely seemed to register with audiences, but her presence here looks promising.
Allen Hughes helmed the gritty-looking drama, and it's his first working without his brother Albert. As The Hughes Brothers, the pair directed "Menace II Society," "From Hell," "Book of Eli" and others. It will be interesting to see how he fares on his own, and he has a stellar cast to work with. Barry Pepper, Kyle Chandler and Jeffrey Wright also star.
"Broken City" will be released January 18.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
12 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy