Roger Waters, MMJ, Eddie Vedder, Kings of Leon: Who jammed with who?
Collaborations captured by fan-shot videos
This has been a good week for all-star collaborations on stage.
On Wednesday, as part of a tribute to Levon Helm, Kentucky band My Morning Jacket and former Pink Floyd legend Roger Waters teamed for a take on The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Meanwhile, across the country, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder sat in with Kings of Leon to sing their tune "The Bucket."
The fan-shot video of the former collaboration features Waters and MMJ frontman Jim James trading the verses originally sung by Helm. Too bad they're virtually drowned out by an endlessly wailing saxophone (never a good idea).
Watch it here:
The performance was part of an all-star tribute to Helm, who passed away earlier this year.
"Love For Levon" also included John Mayer, Grace Potter, Mike Gordon (from Phish), Allen Toussaint, John Hiatt, Lucinda Williams, Jakob Dylan, Bruce Hornsby, John Prine, Mavis Staples, and Helm's bandmate from The Band, Garth Hudson. It was held in East Rutherford, New Jersey, and culminated in a huge ensemble version of The Band's legendary "The Weight."
Meanwhile, a somewhat less starry but still significant collaboration occurred at a San Francisco show, where Kings of Leon had another special guest join them for their hit "The Bucket" Wednesday night.
Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder stepped up to the mic for some Springsteen-esque vocals, but the below video only captured 19 seconds of it.
Bassist Jared Followill tweeted, “Great show in San Fran with Pearl Jam. Eddie came up and sang The Bucket with us. Always an honor to share the stage with them. #Heros."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?