Rihanna serenades 'Saturday Night Live' with new song 'Stay': Watch
She also performed 'Diamonds' on Anne Hathaway-hosted episode
Rihanna displayed two sides of her personality on this weekend's episode of "Saturday Night Live," hosted by Anne Hathaway (slowly growing her hair back after shooting "Les Miserables").
The new single "Diamonds" found the singer employing a kitschy, retro-futuristic vibe worthy of Kanye West, while the new ballad "Stay" stripped things down.
For the latter, Rihanna -- with Bob Marley emblazoned on her form-fitting dress -- took the spotlight as her rather large accompanying band lurked in the shadows behind her. It's a simple, elegant performance that emphasizes emotion over spectacle and serves as a great introduction to the new song.
"Stay" is a slow-burning ballad, driven by piano and sparse instrumentation (light guitar, cymbal percussion), that highlights the pop star's pipes.
Watch it here:
But Rihanna also knows how to party. In the singer's fourth appearance "SNL," she also performed "Diamonds," the latest single from the upcoming album "Unapologetic."
The more upbeat, club-friendly pop anthem was given a completely different treatment than "Stay," reveling in Rihanna's sleek ability to transform her style without sacrificing her musical identity. The "SNL" performance of "Diamonds" employed a strange, blue screen virtual stage set-up, with Rihanna rocking army fatigues while prancing around in front of a hip-looking combo.
Watch it here:
Which Rihanna performance did you like better?
What do you think of the new song "Stay"?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first