Report: 'The Killing' may get a Season 3 with potential AMC/Netflix partnership
Production could begin as early as February if a deal is hatched
"The Killing" may be coming back from the dead.
The controversial mystery series - which was cancelled by AMC earlier this year after scoring only so-so Season 2 ratings - may get a second lease on life if a brewing deal between the cable network and online streaming service Netflix comes to fruition, with Deadline reporting that the companies have entered negotiations to bring the show back for another round.
Starring Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos, the buzzy crime drama was wooed by Netflix following its cancellation back in July, though now it appears AMC is back at the table and looking to hatch a cost-sharing agreement with the streamer that would see first-run rights going to the cabler and Netflix airing new Season 3 episodes at a later date.
If a deal turns up, shooting could begin as early as next February. Luckily for the network, Kinnaman and Enos are already contracted for another season.
Adapted from the Danish TV series of the same name, "The Killing" - which in its first two seasons centered on the investigation into a teenage girl's tragic death - scored an impressive 2.7 million viewers in its first pilot airing, though ratings dropped off following a first-season finale that endured heavy criticism from viewers and critics alike. That said, much of AMC's renewed interest reportedly came about after a strong Season 3 pitch from creator/showrunner Veena Sud.
Would you watch a third season of "The Killing," or have you already given up on the series? Let us know in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased