Updated: 'Gangster Squad' officially moving to January 2013
Film being re-worked after Colorado movie theater massacre
Updated - 10 PM PST: Warner Bros. has officially moved "Gangster Squad" to 2013. The current date for the Ryan Gosling and James Brolin period thriller is now January 11, 2013. The studio has officially listed it on the Warner Bros. website. Whether the studio will go ahead with re-shoots is unclear at this time.
Warner Bros. recently announced plans to excise a scene in the upcoming "Gangster Squad" due to its unfortunate similarities to last week's shooting at a Colorado movie theater. The move means re-shoots for the finished film, and the studio is now reportedly looking to re-schedule its release date.
The film was originally planned to come out September 7, but has allegedly been pulled from that date in order to accommodate extensive re-shoots to replace the removed sequence in which gangsters shoot up a movie theater. A glimpse of the scene was seen in the film's trailer, which was pulled from theaters this past weekend after a gunman killed 12 people and injured dozens more at a midnight screening of Warner Bros.' "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colorado.
HitFix reached out to Warner Bros. today regarding this news, but was told there has not been an official decision yet regarding a release date change.
Although no future date has been officially set, reports are surfacing that January 11 may be the studio's tentative plan. The move would give Warner Bros. time to re-assemble the film's massive cast and re-shoot as necessary. The only other wide release so far scheduled for that weekend is the "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters," starring Jeremy Renner.
Inspired by true events, "Gangster Squad" depicts the battle between cops and the mob in 1940s Los Angeles, and stars Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Josh Brolin and Anthony Mackie. Ruben Fleischer ("Zombieland") directed.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'