Rapper Pitbull becomes victim of Facebook campaign, may be shipped off to Alaska
Miami artist's marketing deal with Walmart goes all wrong
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Miami rapper Pitbull might soon be chilling out in Alaska.
In a marketing deal, Walmart will send Pitbull, aka Armando Christian Perez, to the store that gets the most "likes" on its Facebook page.
Right now, the leading candidate is Kodiak, Alaska. And there might be a reason.
A writer for The Boston Phoenix newspaper thought it'd be funny to send Pitbull to the most remote Walmart possible, and is encouraging people to "like" the Walmart in Kodiak.
It seems to be working.
The Kodiak Walmart had more than 35,000 "likes" Monday, more than five times the town's population.
Kodiak has a significant lead in the contest to land Pitbull, but actual numbers weren't immediately available, Walmart spokeswoman Sarah Spencer said.
She says other Walmart shoppers have until July 16 to like their local stores and pull ahead of Kodiak.
"I know Pitbull is hoping his Miami Walmart shoppers start liking their Facebook page," she said.
That would require some heavy lifting, with one Miami location sitting tight with 45 "likes" Monday.
"He's definitely coming to Kodiak if Kodiak wins," she said.
It would be the rapper's first visit to Alaska.
Pitbull, who is touring Europe, seems to be taking the contest in good nature. "Wherever the fans want to have a party, I will be there," he said in an emailed statement sent Monday from Austria.
Kodiak Island is about 225 miles southwest of Anchorage. It's home to the nation's largest Coast Guard base, and the island is known for its Kodiak brown bear population.
That fact wasn't lost on Pitbull, who tweeted Saturday: "I hear there's bear repellant at Kodiak, Alaska (at)walmartspecials."
Copyright (2012) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts