Pilot News: Minka Kelly books J.J. Abrams robo-drama, Christian Slater joins 'Influence'
Slater gives the small screen another go
Minka Kelly and Christian Slater may be heading back to the small screen in a pair of new pilots.
Kelly, formerly of "Friday Night Lights" and ABC's short-lived "Charlie's Angels" reboot, has booked a role in the untitled J.J. Abrams-produced sci-fi pilot for Fox, set in a near-future Los Angeles where cops are paired with android partners. Kelly will play the role of Valerie Stahl, a morally-grounded police officer who believes in the essential goodness of people. The potential sci-fi series (f.k.a. "Inhuman"), which comes from former "Fringe" showrunner J.H. Wyman, is also set to star Michael Ealy and Lili Taylor. Brad Anderson ("The Call," "Session 9") is on board to direct the pilot. [Deadline]
Slater, meanwhile, has joined Steve Zahn in ABC's "Influence," a drama pilot centered on two brothers who head an agency that uses the science of "human motivation and manipulation" to solve their clients' problems. Slater (last seen in the ill-fated Fox sitcom "Breaking In") will play Ross, the brother of Zahn's character who is described as a brilliant strategist, "ladies' man" (shocker) and ex-prison inmate who recently finished a two-year sentence for fraud. Megalyn Echikunwoke, Cedric Sanders and Gregory Marcel are also set to star in the pilot, which comes from "Awake" creator Kyle Killen. [TVLine]
What do you think of the above castings? Sound off in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard