P.T. Anderson eyes 2013 shoot for 'Inherent Vice' adaptation
'The Master' director plans to give the Pynchon novel a faithful translation
Paul Thomas Anderson's "Inherent Vice" adaptation appears to be gathering steam.
The "Master" auteur is planning to begin production on his previously-reported big-screen version of the Thomas Pynchon novel sometime next year, according to a profile of the director in today's New York Times. Not only that, but the famously freewheeling Anderson claims that unlike his adaptation of Upton Sinclair's "Oil!" - the basis of his 2007 masterwork "There Will Be Blood" - he won't be taking many liberties with the book's story.
“It’s more secretarial,” said Anderson. “The credit should be like ‘secretary to the author.'...But it’s no less fun. In some ways it’s just what the doctor ordered right now for me: being more selfless.”
Interestingly, Anderson also claims to be using cult comic-strip "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" as a sort of "research bible" for the project. Beginning publication in the late 1960s, the strip centers on the misadventures of three pot-smoking deadbeats from San Francisco.
"Inherent Vice" would be the first authorized adaptation of a Pynchon work ever to hit the screen. Published in 2009, the novel follows pothead P.I. Larry "Doc" Sportello as he investigates the disappearance of a real-estate mogul in late-1960s/early-1970s Los Angeles.
Do you think Anderson is the right filmmaker to take on "Inherent Vice"? Sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?