Oscar winner Danny Boyle has no plans to direct a James Bond film
British director says he doesn't work well with big budgets
One of the most memorable moments of the 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony as directed by Danny Boyle was James Bond (Daniel Craig) escorting the Queen to the games in spectacular fashion.
After the scene aired, speculation mounted that Oscar winner Boyle ("Slumdog Millionaire," "127 Hours") could one day direct a proper 007 feature.
The director recently appeared on BBC Radio 4's Front Row and put those rumors to rest.
When asked if he'd ever want to helm a Bond movie, he replied, "No, I'm not very good with huge amounts of money."
"Don't trust me with huge amounts of money anybody," he continued. "I did a film, 'The Beach,' which was a proper Hollywood scale budget and it didn't suit me." The 2000 film cost a reported $50 million and starred Leonardo DiCaprio. Although it turned a profit at the worldwide box office, it fared poorly with critics.
"Certain people can handle that and I love watching those kinds of films," Boyle added, "but I'm much better with a smaller amount of money and trying to make it go a long way."
Other low-budget films he's directed include "28 Days Later," "Trainspotting" and "Millions."
"SkyFall," currently in theaters, was directed by Sam Mendes and is breaking box office records. Mendes is reportedly already plotting out the sequel.
Boyle's next film, "Trance," stars James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson and Vincent Cassel, and will be released sometime in the spring.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness