One Direction inspire backlash after endorsing '1D3D' fan tattoos
Boy band's ink-centric movie promotion goes horribly awry
Ok, so maybe encouraging underage fans to rush out to the local tattoo parlor isn't the best way to promote your new movie.
And yet that's exactly the tactic that was employed by British boy-banders One Direction (and/or those who make these kinds of decisions for them) when they sent out the following tweet via their official account on Saturday:
"Have a real #1D tattoo? Show us! Submit a 90 sec YouTube video to firstname.lastname@example.org and show us why you should be in the @1D3Dmovie!"
To be fair, the tweet (which was no doubt written by one of the band's handlers and not the fresh-faced lads themselves) isn't explicitly urging the group's fans to go out and get tattoos they don't already have, but it could potentially inspire such behavior given the stakes involved. After all, what tween/teenaged One Direction die-hard doesn't want to be in their new movie?
Unsurprisingly the backlash was swift (no pun intended, Harry), and the tweet has since been removed from the band's official page - though not before netizens had time to respond with outraged comments including the very reasonable, "Why would you encourage people to get tattoos that they'll regret in 10 years[?]"
Proclaimed the band's PR reps in response: "This tweet was posted in error and has now been removed. One Direction do not want to encourage any of their fans to get 1D tattoos."
You hear that, OneDirectioners? For the love of god, think about your future.
(Thanks to SugarScape for the details.)
What do you think of One Direction's tattoo tweet? Let us know in the comments.
In case you were wondering, the movie in question is "1D3D," and it's currently slated for release on August 30.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'