'Office' star Rainn Wilson teams with 'Bones' creator for CBS drama pilot
Actor to play a 'self-destructive' detective in 'Backstrom'
Having just wrapped his stint playing Dwight Schrute for nine seasons on NBC's "The Office," Rainn Wilson is trying his hand at a drama series for a change. Or at least, drama-ish.
The actor has signed on for the CBS pilot "Backstrom," created by a man known for bringing a darkly comedic touch to heavy subject matter: "Bones" creator Hart Hanson. Wilson will star as title character Everett Backstrom, an "overweight, offensive, irascible" detective who constantly struggles with controlling his "self-destructive" tendencies. He joins the previously-cast Page Kennedy, Kristoffer Polaha and Dennis Haysbert in the pilot, which WIlson will also produce. The prospective series is based on the Swedish book series by Leif G.W. Persson.
NBC recently passed on Wilson's "Office" spin-off "The Farm," which he co-created, though the "back-door pilot" did air as last week's episode of "The Office" Season 9 (you can check out Alan Sepinwall's review here).
All details courtesy of Deadline.
What do you think of Wilson's new venture? Intrigued? Sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures