New Monty Python movie eyes Benedict Cumberbatch and Gemma Arterton
'Life of Brian' helmer Terry Jones returning to direct 'Absolutely Anything'
UPDATED on Friday, November 16.
The legendary Monty Python franchise is eyeing a couple of young up-and-comers for its latest (decidedly belated) installment.
Nearly three decades following the release of "The Meaning of Life," Gemma Arterton ("Quantum of Solace") and Benedict Cumberbatch ("Sherlock") are in talks to join "Absolutely Anything," a new comedy from the surrealistic U.K. comedy troupe about a teacher who experiences a series of mishaps after discovering he has magical powers.
First announced back in 2010, "Anything" will see frequent Monty Python director Terry Jones ("Monty Python and the Holy Grail," "Life of Brian") returning to the helm, with franchise regulars Terry Gilliam, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Jones himself providing voiceovers alongside series newcomer Robin Williams.
UPDATE: A statement from Arterton's reps say that the actress "has not been confirmed" for this project.
Shooting is expected to begin the first quarter of next year from a script by Jones and Gavin Scott ("The Borrowers," "Small Soldiers").
The news was broken by The Wrap.
Arterton will next be seen in the TIFF-premiered dramedy "Song for Marion" opposite Terence Stamp, Christopher Eccleston and Vanessa Redgrave, while Cumberbatch has a motion-capture role in this fall's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." He also plays the villain in next year's highly-anticipated J.J. Abrams follow-up "Star Trek into Darkness."
Are you looking forward to a new Monty Python movie? Thoughts on Arterton and Cumberbatch playing the leads? Sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts